[Openvas-devel] Preparing OpenVAS 3.0: features and timeline

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Mon Sep 14 10:24:07 CEST 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009 09:39:46 Felix Wolfsteller wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 September 2009 10:26:26 Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > I'd like to stress that the renaming should really be done
> > for the sake of consistent and easy to understand wording.
> >
> > On Thursday 03 September 2009 15:24:27 Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > > What I like to change for 3.0 also:
> > >
> > > * rename openvasd to openvassd for scan daemon.
> > >   This would be in line with openvasmd (manager daemon)
> > >   and openvascd (configuration daemon)
> > >
> > > * In fact, rename "openvas-server" to "openvas-scanner"
> > >    because "server" is a bit too generic.
>
> tbh, openvas-scanner is a bit too specific, as currently openvasd does not
> only do the scanning.
> I agree in that the 'scanner' part should be stripped down to do just that
> (and i guess the pentesters will be quite happy about that).

yes, it must be stripped down to the core task of scanning.
We agreed on this during the last OpenVAS DevCon.
The earlier the name change and API alternative (OMP), the better.

> This also touches the consistency issue: Where there is a 'xyz-client' I
> expect to find either a 'xyz' or an 'xyz-server'.

hm, well. The current name scheme caused a lot of misunderstanding as
well. I don't have a final opinion about the naming scheme on the client side.

> To me, openvas-scanner is a 4.0 thing where the client (to be understood
> as "user interface") does not talk directly to openvas-server anymore.

Already with 2.0, at you option, OpenVAS-Client is able to talk
to the manager with OTP. In 3.0 in can talk to manager with OTP and OMP.
So, we offer our users a nice transition phase.
But the renaming should be done as early as possible to clarify the way to go.

Greenbone Networks GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück
AG Osnabrück, HR B 202460 | Geschäftsführer: Lukas Grunwald, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner