[Openvas-devel] Getting rid of openvasclient-mkrand

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Tue Sep 22 00:58:22 CEST 2009

On Monday 21 September 2009 10:17:33 Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> in directory openvas-client/ssl there is still the C program
> for gathering some sort of entropy in absence of /dev/urandom.
>
> I neither think this tool is needed today anymore nor do I think
> it is the task of OpenVAS to care about entropy. Other tools
> should be employed for this. GNUTLS/libgcrypt tries its best already and
> they surely to better than we do.
>
> So, I think we can remove openvasclient-mkrand entirely.

I removed it now. It was not even installed for a long long time and
no one missed it.

This also means that openvasclient-mkcert is pretty useless.
The scanner package has a similar routine in case you need it at all.
-mkcert will now fail in cases where no good enough entropy source
is found because it would try then openvasclient-mkrand.

Does anyone have a good reason at hand why to keep
openvasclient-mkcert in the package?

All the best

Greenbone Networks GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück
AG Osnabrück, HR B 202460 | Geschäftsführer: Lukas Grunwald, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner