[Openvas-devel] CR #43 - NMAP based service detection

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Fri Mar 5 20:54:41 CET 2010

On Friday 05 March 2010 20:10:40 Thomas Reinke wrote:
> Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > OpenVAS does not have such a process.
> > We only add new stuff as part of doing new tests.
> > This is even done by adding some *detect*.nasl scripts.
> > In fact the find_services1/2 were only modified
> > once in the history of OpenVAS (Kost fixed a subversion detection).
> > Hm so there is another aspect in the discussion, bulk dectection vs.
> > per-case detection ?
>
> ? Not sure what you mean by bulk vs per-case.

well, find_services* is each a single NVT that tries
to identify quite a number of different services.

On the other hand, the *detect* scripts try to identify
exactly one special service.

Greenbone Networks GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück
AG Osnabrück, HR B 202460 | Geschäftsführer: Lukas Grunwald, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner