[Openvas-devel] [Openvas-distro] debian packages of 3.x tree

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Mon Mar 22 12:31:23 CET 2010

On Montag, 22. März 2010, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
> 2010/3/22 Jan-Oliver Wagner <Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net>:
> > OpenVAS should follow any common and sensible standard.
>
> One option is to have openvas-server install the NES libraries in
> /usr/lib (using libdir) and the openvas-nvt-sync plugin installing in
> /var/lib (using localstatedir)

this reminds me why I so much wanted to get rid of all the C-NVTs ;-)

> Symbolic links might not be required if openvassd is able to read
> libraries and NASL scripts from two different locations. Reviewing the
> code for openvassd and the auto-generated openvassd.conf file I've
> noticed that there is an ' include_folders' definition. However this
> preference value does not seem to be used at all. From openvassd.c:
>
>       if (store_init (arg_get_value(preferences, "cache_folder"),
>                       arg_get_value(preferences, "plugins_folder")) != 0)
>         store_init (arg_get_value(preferences, "plugins_folder"),
>                     arg_get_value(preferences, "plugins_folder"));
>
> This code, and the plugin code. Makes it look like this value is not
> used at all. If this is the case maybe this should be fixed (it is a
> bug) and the include_folders could be predefined with
> /usr/lib/openvas/plugins (libdir) /plugins, whileas plugins_folder
> remains defined with /var/lib/openvas/plugins/ (localstatedir).

the include_folders setting does work. It is for the include() command
of NASL.

What we might do is to add a special treatment of the last 4 C-NVTs
to have them considered for the scanner even if they are not placed
in the actual plugins_folder.
It is not intended at all to add any further C-NVT, so a special
treatment might be OK.

However, this raises the question whether we should apply
the changes to 3.0.x or or better leave 3.0.x as is
and change the 3.1.x to handle the FHS more cleanly?