[Openvas-devel] Planning OpenVAS 4 Beta

Nigel Taylor njtaylor at asterisk.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 00:36:25 CET 2010

On 10/31/10 20:37, Stephan Kleine wrote:
> On Friday October 29 2010 22:30:57 Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> now that we completed another round of releases for the current
>> stable version I'd like to start into the Beta phase
>> of "OpenVAS 4" (or whatever better name is proposed).
>>
>> As it stands, first Beta could consist of these components.
>> I might have forgotten or mixed up something. Let me know.
>>
>> openvas-libraries 4.0.0~beta1
>>   -> current trunk perhaps with my nvti patch and Michaels'
>>      patch for network scans and a patch to optinally force
>>      any sort of http request through a security proxy (modsecurity)
>>      where blacklists can apply etc.
>>
>> openvas-scanner 3.2.0~beta1
>>   -> current trunk with the rest of Michaels patch and perhaps
>>      further nvti patches
>>
>> openvas-manager 2.0.0~beta1
>>   -> current trunk.
>>
>> openvas-administrator 0.9.0
>>   -> as is
>>
>> gsa 2.0.0~beta1
>>   -> current trunk
>>
>> gsd 1.0.0~rc2
>>   -> current trunk with some adpations to handle OMP 1.0 and OMP 2.0~beta1
>>      in parallel.
>>
>> openvas-cli 1.0.2
>>   -> current trunk with similar adapations as gsd.
>>

>> Major new features would be:
>> (and very likely I forgot a quite a number of further)
>>
>> * Master-Slave
>> * Report Format Plugin Framework
>> * Targets: More ways to specify ranges
>> * Credentials: Editor (password changes possible)
>> * Escalators: More of them, current improved
>> * OMP: protocol self-documentation as HTML, XML, RNC
>> * Network scan plugins (speedup), in case we apply the patch
>> * lower mem footprint (~10% more concurrent scanner possible), if we apply
>> the patch
>>

>> My yet unmet wishlist includes
>> * full migration to cmake
>> * turn cnvts into nasl functions, called by a nasl replacement wrapper
>> * simplify/stripdown OTP to essentials.
>>

>> Comments, Suggestions?
>
> Can you please change the version names since ~beta1 makes it unnecessarily
> harder to package cause rpm can't handle -betaX or ~betaY (and I would be
> surprised if .deb can do those).
>
> So, please name those, e.g. 3.1.98.1 for beta1, 3.1.98.2 for beta 2, 3.1.99.1
> for rc1, 3.1.99.3 for rc3 and so on including naming the source archives and
> the subdirectory within them according this way.
>
> My point simply is that this would allow seamless upgrades - otherwise I would
> have to name the packages like that for which I'm honestly too lazy (whithout
> those changes updates from beta1 to beta2 will work, to rc1 prolly too (since
> r > b) but 4.0.0 is smaller than 4.0.0.betaX).
>
> thanks,
> Stephan

I agree with the comment made above I built the gsd-1.0.0~rc1 package for
OpenBSD created an iso image, ~ is used as a special for backup files for
editors normally ignored, same for windows ~ used for short file names good idea
to avoid using. The package went missing from the iso image.

I have now changed the package name to gsd-1.0-rc1 in the OpenBSD port Makefile.

I would plan to use these package names, rather than your scheme..
openvas-libraries-4.0-beta1
openvas-scanner-3.2-beta1
openvas-manager-2.0-beta1
gsa-2.0-beta1
gsd-1.0-rc2
(Previous releases appear to have used something like this).

Clicking on this link browsing..
http://wald.intevation.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/tags/gsd-release-1.0.0~rc1/?rev=9353&root=openvas

Might be coincidence but looks like the browsing also doesn't like the ~
character either. I got this response..

An Exception Has Occurred

tags/gsd-release-1.0.0\~rc1: unknown location

HTTP Response Status

404 Not Found

Python Traceback

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/gforge/etc/viewcvs.py", line 3235, in main
    request.run_viewcvs()
  File "/var/lib/gforge/etc/viewcvs.py", line 317, in run_viewcvs
    % self.where, '404 Not Found')
ViewCVSException: 404 Not Found: tags/gsd-release-1.0.0\~rc1: unknown location

Regards

Nigel Taylor