[Openvas-devel] Report paranoia

Michael Meyer michael.meyer at greenbone.net
Thu Nov 11 16:11:00 CET 2010

Hello,

there is an option "Report paranoia" which could have the following values:

Normal (0)",
"Avoid false alarms (1)",
"Paranoid (more false alarms) (2)".

Default value of "Report paranoia" is "Normal".

Question is: Should we use that for remote-version-checks which are prone to false
positives if software is backported.

,---[ foo.nasl ]
| [...]
| include("global_settings.inc");
| [...]
| if ( report_paranoia < 2 ) exit(0);
`---|

Otherwise we would have no _remote_ NVTs for vulnerabilities of backported software, where
a version check is the only way to "detect" the vulnerability.

There are at the moment around 100 NVTs using "report_paranoia". Most of them
are scripts inherited from Nessus.

Comments? ;)

Micha

--
Michael Meyer                            OpenPGP Key: 52A6EFA6
http://www.greenbone.net/