[Openvas-devel] Preparing OpenVAS 4 Beta 1

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Thu Nov 11 20:24:42 CET 2010

Hi,

here is an updated plan for OpenVAS 4 Beta 1.

Components:

openvas-libraries 3.2+beta1 or 4.0+beta1
  -> I am yet undecided whether it should be 4.0 or
       just 3.2. Opinions?

openvas-scanner 3.2+beta1

openvas-manager 2.0+beta1

openvas-administrator 0.9.0
  -> I hope we find the time to clean it up and release
       it as 1.0-rc1. It seems to do the job quite well, at
       least no major problems are reported.
  (remains compatible with OpenVAS 3.1)

gsa 2.0+beta1

gsd 1.0+rc2
  (remains compatible with OpenVAS 3.1)

openvas-cli 1.0.2
  (remains compatible with OpenVAS 3.1)

Major new features:
 (as of Beta1, more might follow during beta phase)

* Master-Slave
* Report Format Plugin Framework
* Targets: More ways to specify ranges
* Credentials: Editor (password changes possible)
* Escalators: More of them, current improved
* OMP: protocol self-documentation as HTML, XML, RNC
* Network scan plugins (speedup)
* lower mem footprint (~10% more concurrent scanner possible), if we apply the patch

All the best