[Openvas-devel] Preparing OpenVAS 4 Beta 1

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Sun Nov 14 20:23:19 CET 2010

On Saturday 13 November 2010 18:12:53 Randal T. Rioux wrote:
> One thing I've noticed that makes adoption of OpenVAS to the general
> masses difficult is this frightening collection of inter-dependencies
> and confusing version system.
>
> What made Nessus suck (installation-wise) was just this. Now it is only
> one file, that contains everything you need for the Nessus server.
>
> Why can't we bundle this stuff (client-aside) and stick with one version
> number?

Then we do not need to have any modules all and just have one big one.
But this would make things worse. Permanent new releases of the whole
thing just because we fixed a bug somewhere  in the misc library.

To me it is a packaging challenge. And actually my proposal of "OpenVAS 4"
is a step towards reducing confusion.

I would so much appreciate if someone would create a big single
package of the modules we (developers) work on. And have it
work on various Linux platforms.
No one volunteered so far to take care of this task.
Several decisions would have to be made (with/out WMI,
with/out LDAP, with/out OTP in Manager)

However, I guess for the Linux distribution packagers,
it might make more sense to keep the modules separately.
A clever meta package might do the trick?

All the best