[Openvas-devel] Preparing OpenVAS 4 Beta 1

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Tue Nov 16 07:53:32 CET 2010

> I would so much appreciate if someone would create a big single
> package of the modules we (developers) work on. And have it
> work on various Linux platforms.
> No one volunteered so far to take care of this task.
> Several decisions would have to be made (with/out WMI,
> with/out LDAP, with/out OTP in Manager)
>
> However, I guess for the Linux distribution packagers,
> it might make more sense to keep the modules separately.
> A clever meta package might do the trick?

One alternative (which I am not necessarily recommending) is to go ahead and
build everything in house and make all the individual packages for each
platform available directly from an OpenVAS hosted online repository.  A few
projects take a smilar approach, notably OpenNMS and OCS-NG.  They don't
offer packages for every platform, necessarily,  but this approach makes
sure sites get appropriate and up-to-date modules.  It does incur greater
overhead to the OpenVAS project, though.

A stub installer could be packaged for the standard online repos such as the
Debian repos, the OpenSuSE repos and so on.

It would help to eliminate the confusion in the long run at the cost of
greater effort and resources inside the OpenVAS project.

Are there any volunteers or any companies/individuals that would wish to
sponsor such work?

-Geoff