[Openvas-devel] SCAP intrgration

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Tue Apr 19 13:23:30 CEST 2011

On Dienstag, 19. April 2011, NopSec wrote:
> I heard that one of the next OpenVAS feature will be a better integration with the SCAP standards through the integration of open-SCAP. Olivier was mentioning to me that some initial development in this direction has already been started. Could you point to a specific committ in the scn repo where we can start how research and development project?

indeed base works are currently done. Just recently Greenbone gained
the status of a "OVAL Adopter" as System Characerstics Provider,
see here for an example: http://www.greenbone.net/learningcenter/oval_sc.html

We have added several NVTs recently to the Feed for collecting and transferring
various information related to SCAP standards. openvas-manager trunk
handles them already. But no explicit GUI elements yet.

For DevCon#3 I am happy to announce that OpenSCAP core developer Peter Vrabec
of RedHat will give a presentation on OpenSCAP and I imagine we will develop
plans for a nice integration.

Greenbone is currently preparing for running SCAP validation of OpenVAS
as "Unauthenticated Scanner". Then, "Authenticated Scanner" is to follow.
Several features need to be implemented for this.
I can not promise any detailed roadmap with dates yet, though.