[Openvas-devel] CR#52: Tighter integration of nmap

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Fri Apr 29 13:10:56 CEST 2011

On Donnerstag, 28. April 2011, Matthew Mundell wrote:
> > > I would think it would be better to provide a NASL XML interface, and to do
> > > the Nmap part in NASL. ??This would mean less scan specific C code. ??Also,
> > > other NASL scripts could use the XML parser.
> >
> > I initially thought about it but couldn't find any proper way of doing
> > it, as NASL doesn't offer callback mechanisms. Maybe I am just missing
> > something, I am not completely confident with NASL yet. Do you have
> > something in mind?
>
> You could read the entire XML doc, instead of using callbacks.  This is
> what the parser provided by openvas-libraries/omp/xml.c does.

these XML files could be very big, right?
Not sure wether is does make sense to do intensive XML parsing via NASL.

However, the upside of NASL is always that code can be updated easily.
So, it depends a little on how generic and stable a C-implementation would be.
As far as I understood, the Nmap XML is pretty well designed and there are no
incompatible changes expected. After all, we have classic nmap wrapper always
as a fallback.

Maybe a C-implementation helps to prepare a eventually coming nmap library
integration.