[Openvas-devel] [openvas-Bugs][2546] False Positive in sendmail_expn.nasl in running qmail.

openvas-bugs@wald.intevation.org openvas-bugs at wald.intevation.org
Thu Jun 30 20:58:03 CEST 2011

Bugs item #2546, was opened at 2011-06-30 18:58

Initial Comment:
Testing in sendmail_expn fails to account for the accepted solution per the documentation cited in the vulnerability. It sites D.J. Bernstein's explanation of the VRFY and EXPN verbs, however, the test does not check to see if the SMTP server is running qmail and send qmail's accepted response to the VRFY command. I respectfully submit this patch which corrects the plugin to account for SMTP servers running qmail. The patch checks to see if the qmail response cited in Bernstien's documentation is returned, if it is, the test passes.

Patch Below:

89,90c89
<      !egrep(pattern:"String does not match anything", string: vrfy_txt) &&
<      !egrep(pattern:"252 send some mail, i'll try my best", string: vrfy_txt)
---