[Openvas-devel] Using git for openvas development

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Mon Sep 16 15:59:56 CEST 2013

On Freitag, 5. Juli 2013, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Freitag, 5. Juli 2013, Henri Doreau wrote:
> > What about moving the other ones under a new openvas-core/ directory?
>
> sounds interesting. This would also allow to collect there only
> those modules that are currently supported. In other words, no openvas-client,
> no gsd and no openvas-administrator.

I started with a more sensible solution: move those modules definitely not
part of trunk anymore to a respective branch.

I have done so now for openvas-administrator. gsd and openvas-client will follow.
If you have uncommitted changes in those directories, these won't be removed.
You should then copy the over to the respective branch checkout. Afterwards
you can manually remove the directory.

However, this does not solve yet the core problem, openvas-plugins.

I talked to the admins of Wald and they said it is possible to add a second
SVN repository to Wald for OpenVAS, named "openvas-nvts". We could
bring all of openvas-plugins including history there and hook in a second
commit mailing list and a second SVN web browser. Same user IDs wouold
be able to work on both repos always.

The other option would be to solve everything inside a single SVN repo.
Which should be doable, following ideas like Henri's proposal to have a openvas-core.
However, the NVTs are something really different from the rest of the code,
so I thought it might make sense to have two repos nonetheless.

What do people think about this approach?