[Openvas-devel] Using git for openvas development

Michael Wiegand michael.wiegand at greenbone.net
Wed Sep 18 10:22:50 CEST 2013

* Jan-Oliver Wagner [17. Sep 2013]:
> On Dienstag, 17. September 2013, Michael Wiegand wrote:
> > This divergence of general structure and release model would IMHO
> > be one reason for splitting the repository. It would also enable the
> > different repositories to adjust the source code management to their
> > respective needs without affecting the other repositories, be it through
> > the use of SVN keywords as discussed or through other changes.
>
> we could call the new module "openvas-nvts" which is more adequate than
> "plugins".

Agreed. "plugins" has always been to generic and is already used better
for more specific things like the Report Format Plugins. "openvas-nvts"
sounds sensible to me.

> I wonder whether we should try to preserve old history or start from scratch
> with the current set of NVTs (.nasl scripts)?

I do not have a strong preference either way.

> And how should the layout of the repository look like?
> openvas-nvts/
>   2013/
>   abc.inc
>
> or
>
> openvas-nvts/
>   branches/
>   tags/
>   trunk/
>     2013/
>     abc.inc
>
> ?

IMHO, "branches/" and "tags/" only make sense if we really want to use
them. I might be missing something, but I cannot come up with a
situation where using them sounds like a good idea.

> Other aspects to consider?

The is also a "tools/" directory in openvas-plugins, along with
documentation and license files. Where would they be placed in your
proposal?

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Wiegand |  Greenbone Networks GmbH  |  http://www.greenbone.net/
Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück, Germany | AG Osnabrück, HR B 202460