[openvas-discuss] Whilst I'm away

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Fri Nov 4 20:26:16 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 13:17 +0000, Tim Brown wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm in Canada for the next week, networking with SecuritySpace (the
> guys who donated openvas.*) and also taking a course, but I've had a few
> ideas of things that need kicking off in my absence.
>
> 1) What happens if we sed "s/nessus/openvas/g" all the source code?  Will
> it still compile?  Are there going to be any bugs I'll run into if I do it
> on my branch of the CVS tree and commit?

The code may certainly still compile, but take a lesson from the
MicroBSD vs. OpenBSD debacle from a few years back.  They (the MicroBSD
guys) did a search & replace op which also changed the licenses listed
at the top of the source files.  The ramifications of course being that
now OpenSSH was written by the MicroBSD team, instead of OpenBSD, etc
etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroBSD

> 4) How are we going to manage bugs, RFEs etc?

Bugzilla is certainly the defacto standard for this sort of thing,
though it isn't necessarily the easiest beast.

> 5) What mailing lists do we need in addition to discuss, announce and
> news?

Does 'discuss' serve the purpose of 'devel'?