[openvas-discuss] Future enhancements: plugins in perl??

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Wed Nov 23 04:14:53 CET 2005

Hi,

I saw that on http://www.openvas.org/doku.php?id=future_enhancements
it is listed that NASL is to be replaced by perl.

First I think that replacing NASL by a 'real' programming
language (hopefully stripped down for security aspects)
is a good idea but really far ahead.
Before you don't have a proven sustainable plugin development
framework (where some companies earn enough money),
it does not make sense to switch to something else than NASL.
(There would be huge reimplementation and QA effords without
real advance for the security auditors)

Next, I think perl is not the best choice ;-)
Since it is far in the future anyway, I suggest
to say that "a suitable programming language" is
to be taken. Maybe you can find some general criteria for
this language.

Jan-Oliver Wagner: www.intevation.de/~jan  | GISpatcher: www.gispatcher.de
Kolab Konsortium : www.kolab-konsortium.de | Thuban    : thuban.intevation.org
Intevation GmbH  : www.intevation.de       | Kolab     : www.kolab.org