[openvas-discuss] Future enhancements: plugins in perl??

Tim Brown timb at openvas.org
Wed Nov 23 04:36:53 CET 2005

On Wednesday 23 Nov 2005 03:14, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw that on http://www.openvas.org/doku.php?id=future_enhancements
> it is listed that NASL is to be replaced by perl.
>
> First I think that replacing NASL by a 'real' programming
> language (hopefully stripped down for security aspects)
> is a good idea but really far ahead.
> Before you don't have a proven sustainable plugin development
> framework (where some companies earn enough money),
> it does not make sense to switch to something else than NASL.
> (There would be huge reimplementation and QA effords without
> real advance for the security auditors)

I think this is a fair call.

> Next, I think perl is not the best choice ;-)
> Since it is far in the future anyway, I suggest
> to say that "a suitable programming language" is
> to be taken. Maybe you can find some general criteria for
> this language.

At this stage, I think it would be fairer to treat that web page as a scratch
pad of idea.  Of course not all will prove feasible and useful to implement
but it makes sense to at least consider them.  Perl would be my favourite
simply because of the fantastic CPAN library, but I acknowledge that it's not
for everyone.  More so, I can see Perl being a problem due to the
dependencies that are likely to be introduced.

Whilst we're on the subject of this page, if anyone has any other harebrained
(or otherwise) ideas, feel free to stick them up on the same page.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Brown, OpenVAS