[openvas-discuss] OpenVAS DevCon 1 write up

William Anderson neuro at openvas.org
Fri Apr 7 12:52:05 CEST 2006

Tim Brown wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I'd be inclinded to agree, we already have people here working on the Gentoo
> ebuild for example, that will then be submitted to Gentoo for inclusion.  Let
> the distributions do what they do best.  Not sure how we get into the

So do the initial monkey work of spec files, etc then hand over to
interested parties for maintenance?  Sounds fair.

> commercial distros such as SuSE and RedHat though.  Thoughts?

RHEL doesn't have nessus out the box - I picked up 2.2.2 RPMs from
ATrpms a long time ago for an RHEL3AS install:

[william at nbg01-shell-01 william]$ rpm -qa | grep -i nessus
nessus-2.2.2a-18.el3.at
libnessus-2.2.2a-15.el3.at
nessus-server-2.2.2a-18.el3.at

but for inclusion in RHEL, I'd say FC Extras is a softer target to get
into, cf http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras ...  Odds are RH may pick
up an openvas rpm from there rather than a random outside repo.

Incidentally, FC Extras already has nessus-libraries and libnasl
packages.  SuSE 9.x, according to rpmfind.net, has nessus-core too.

--
magic sig