[Openvas-discuss] Homepage for OpenVAS -- volunteers?

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Fri Mar 16 11:24:16 CET 2007

On Thursday 15 March 2007 05:12, oday at fas.harvard.edu wrote:
> An interesting read for Openvas
>
> http://mako.cc/writing/to_fork_or_not_to_fork.html
>
> I still need to finish reading this however I think this will create some
> interesting questions for the openvas project.

IMHO, not really.

A main intention is to make available a GPL feed of pluings as comprehensive as
possible. (The GPL feed of Tenable actually stagnates if not even shrinks, because
it seems that plugins that are changed by Tenable also change license).
In order to make it easy to use this new feed, you need to distribute
modified packages of nessus. This is intentionally not allowed with
not giving OpenSSL exception. Consequently a fork is necessary.

I guess there were various other reasons, why the fork was done. I can not
speak for Tim et al. here but you may find some announcements on
the internet (initially OpenVAS was called Gnessus).