[Openvas-discuss] NVT's license free for commercial use?

Tim Brown timb at nth-dimension.org.uk
Wed Jan 16 18:43:28 CET 2008

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 08:09:35 Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2008, amiel montecillo wrote:
> > I was trying to look for the licensing scheme for the NVT feeds. I
> > noticed the openvas in general is free and GPL'd. Does this mean that
> > commercial use is allowed free of charge?
>
> Sure :-)
>
> However, it would be nice if the project would eventually get something
> back, either cotributions to the software, new NVTs or even some cash ;-)

I'm intending to announce this properly shortly.  But we now have a mailing
list specifically for system integrators, package maintainers and those who
are interested in the distribution side of the project.  Look out for a mail
regarding this in the coming days.

In the meant time, I'd like to agree with what Jan has previously stated.  As
an SPI associated project (http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/openvas), OpenVAS
project is fully committed to offering the various components as a Free
Software, GPL licensed work.  This means that subject to the terms of the
license (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html), it can be
used for both commercial and non-commercial purposes.  I'm very happy to see
other entities join this collaborative, vendor neutral endeavour.

If this interests you, please take a look at our constitution
(http://www.openvas.org/constitution.html) which defines how we interact and
make decisions.

Tim
--