[Openvas-discuss] openvas-compendium to replace openvas-manual?

Tim Brown timb at nth-dimension.org.uk
Thu Jul 17 01:43:06 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 11:17:09 Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

*snip*

>  * plain latex(+hyperlatex) instead of lyx (make compilation easier for
> distributions AFAIU) * Get rid of any authorship of the origin Nessus team
> (which means to rewrite various sections, which is good anyway since most
> of the stuff is quite old). The only part transferred to the compendium is
> the part I wrote myself - the GUI description. Once the OpenVAS team
> identified an independend organization to hold the copyright, the
> compendium could this way transferred entirely.

I would go with SPI if we want to centralise copyright in this manner.  I know
they prefer not to hold copyright, but they will do so if asked and we
already have an existing relationship of sorts with them.  Incidentally, I
notice that the source for the compendium is GPLv2(only) however it generates
CC-SA licensed output.  I'm not sure that this is the best way to go.

*snip*

> In case the old manual should indeed be superceeded with the compendium,
> how to do that?
>
>  * Keep module name "openvas-manual" or rename it to "openvas-compendium"?
>  * Move compendium files to this module and keep the other files for a
> while? * Or delete them immediately?
>  * Which version to apply? (-manual has 0.9.0, -compendium has 0.1.0).
>
> My personal preference is to rename to openvas-compendium, delete all old
> stuff and apply version 0.1.0.

I second that.

For the record, content so far looks excellent.  I've added a sub section on
script_oid to the NASL scripting chapter as it's important to get that
documented.

Cheers,
Tim
--