[Openvas-discuss] openvas-compendium to replace openvas-manual?

Tim Brown timb at nth-dimension.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 00:17:45 CEST 2008

On Thursday 17 July 2008 22:54:10 Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2008 01:43:06 schrieb Tim Brown:

*snip*

> > I would go with SPI if we want to centralise copyright in this manner.
>
> I did already a couple of months ago. The result was that despite
> the fact that they have a corresponding note on their pages they
> never received any copyrights so far. And they are neither
> prepared for this nor really wishing to do it (they did not negate though).
> My conclusion than was that it might be better to head for FLA
> some day and either transfer to FSFE or another trusted organization.

I saw all of that, and I read it as "we do not actively encourage *or*
discourage.  It's worth considering that they *do* enforce Debian's trade
mark, so the're certainly not averse to defending IPR on behalf of member
projects.

> > already have an existing relationship of sorts with them.  Incidentally,
> > I notice that the source for the compendium is GPLv2(only) however it
> > generates CC-SA licensed output.  I'm not sure that this is the best way
> > to go.
>
> hm, this should be cleaned of course. Since the compendium is
> actually documentation I'd prefer CCSA over the GNU licenses
> as it is better understood (remember the Debian discussion about FDL).

For sure, although IIRC CC-SA is not much better:

"debian-legal contributors think that works licensed solely under the
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 [BY-SA] are not free according to the DFSG and
should not be included in Debian."

From http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary.html.

*snip*

Tim