[Openvas-discuss] openvas-libraries: 1.0.1 or 1.1-something?

Aleksander Adamowski aleksander.adamowski at olo.org.pl
Tue Mar 18 01:59:30 CET 2008

On 3/17/08, Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  there have been numerous cleanups done on openvas-libraries since 1.0.0
>  release. Several things have been removed, no real features been added.
>
>  I wonder whether we should release the changes as "1.0.1" or
>  begin a new release series 1.1 (perhaps starting with "1.0-beta1"
>  or alike).
>
>  As we have currently a small user base and can react to reported problems
>  quite quickly, I tend to "1.0.1" even though usually such revisions should be
>  restricted to bug fixing only. However, I think there are less benefits
>  in maintaining two separate branches at this stage of OpenVAS development/use.
>  As soon as we learn that there are users out there that rely on a strict
>  handling of bug-fix-only releases we probably should keep a large pace
>  to push things forward.
>
>  Any opinions?

I vote for 1.0.1, use Occam's razor principle - entities should not be
multiplied beyond necessity.

I don't think a new branch is needed - what would you need it for anyway?

AFAIK the only consumer of the libraries are currently the other
openvas packages. There are no other users of the libraries so as long
as other openvas packages aren't broken by the change, there's no
point in being overly cautious.

When the libraries start being used in other projects intensively,
then it will be a different story...

--
Best Regards,
  Aleksander Adamowski