[Openvas-discuss] Compiling under FreeBSD 7.1?

John A. Kilpatrick john at hypergeek.net
Fri Aug 7 06:07:34 CEST 2009

I've been having a bear of a time getting OpenVAS installed on
FreeBSD.  I'm hoping someone can help me.

I started with just using ports, but that is WAY out of date.  So then
I tried downloading the source and starting with openvas-
libraries-2.0.3 I had problems because of libresolv.  Then I found a
ports page that updates the ports tree to the latest version of the
packages but when trying to compile the libraries I had the following
result:

  cc -pipe -I../ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/
local/include -g -Wall -I/usr/local/include -I. -I/usr/ports/security/
openvas-libraries/work/openvas-libraries-2.0.3/include -I/usr/local/
include -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/
include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/
include -g -Wall -I/usr/local/include -I../libopenvascommon -I/usr/
local/include -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include -g -
Wall -c openvas_server.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/openvas_server.o
openvas_server.c: In function 'openvas_server_open':
openvas_server.c:73: error: invalid use of undefined type 'struct
sockaddr_in'
openvas_server.c:73: error: 'AF_INET' undeclared (first use in this
function)
openvas_server.c:73: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
only once
openvas_server.c:73: error: for each function it appears in.)
openvas_server.c:75: error: invalid use of undefined type 'struct
sockaddr_in'
openvas_server.c:77: error: invalid use of undefined type 'struct
sockaddr_in'
openvas_server.c:84: error: invalid use of undefined type 'struct
sockaddr_in'
openvas_server.c:90: warning: implicit declaration of function 'socket'
openvas_server.c:90: error: 'PF_INET' undeclared (first use in this
function)
openvas_server.c:90: error: 'SOCK_STREAM' undeclared (first use in
this function)
openvas_server.c:138: warning: implicit declaration of function
'connect'
openvas_server.c:140: error: invalid application of 'sizeof' to
incomplete type 'struct sockaddr_in'
openvas_server.c:152: warning: cast to pointer from integer of
different size
openvas_server.c:163: warning: implicit declaration of function
'shutdown'
openvas_server.c:163: error: 'SHUT_RDWR' undeclared (first use in this
function)
openvas_server.c: In function 'openvas_server_send':
openvas_server.c:217: warning: format '%i' expects type 'int', but
argument 4 has type 'size_t'
openvas_server.c:217: warning: field precision should have type 'int',
but argument 5 has type 'size_t'
openvas_server.c:234: warning: field precision should have type 'int',
but argument 4 has type 'ssize_t'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/openvas-libraries/work/openvas-
libraries-2.0.3/libopenvas.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/openvas-libraries/work/openvas-
libraries-2.0.3.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/openvas-libraries.

so I'm guessing something isn't quite right there either.  Since it
can't find AF_INET I'm wondering if it should be including /usr/
include or something, but I'm woefully out of practice on this kind of
stuff.  If anyone would be willing to help me get OpenVAS installed on
my FreeBSD box I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
John

--