[Openvas-discuss] OpenVAS-Client batch mode doesn't provide NVTs in XML output

Chris Kolb chris at gdsx.com
Fri Aug 7 16:32:05 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm attempting to schedule some cron jobs to perform automatic scans.
The scan seems to go well, and outputs lots of relevant information.
However, I'm outputting in XML and I've noticed that the NVT list does
not show up.  Instead, I get an XML element that says "<error txt="No
NVT list."/>".  When I do the same scan using the UI client and export
the report as XML, the NVTs are listed.  Unfortunately the parsing that
I'm doing for displaying the reports requires that the NVTs be present
in the output.  Is there any way to get the client to include the NVTs
in the XML output when scanning in batch mode?

Here's what I've tried:

OpenVAS-Client -c config.rc -T xml -qx localhost 9390 batch <password>
targets output.xml

I also tried adding -p and -S to see what happens, but the client just
disconnects immediately after outputting the plugin list to std-output
and does not perform the scan.

Chris Kolb
Manager of Information Security

GDSX, Ltd.
Phone: 972-612-7121
Fax: 972-612-7021

Come see us this summer at NBTA in San Diego August 23 - 26! Booth #3019

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail contains information that is
confidential.  It is intended for the exclusive use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the named recipient,
disclosure or distribution of the information transmitted herewith is
strictly prohibited and may be subject to legal restriction or sanction.
Please notify the sender, by return e-mail or telephone, of any
unintended recipients and delete the original message without making any
copies.