[Openvas-discuss] Some OpenVAS questions

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Thu Oct 1 18:15:37 CEST 2009

On Donnerstag, 1. Oktober 2009, Michiel van Es wrote:
> >> I am using OpenVAS with the OpenVAS-client to scan my networks but are
> >> there any tools like Inprotect to manage these scans?
> >> I see Autonessus but is there also a tool which can create pie charts or
> >>  pdf's.
> >> The html is very very nice but I want to create a report over the last
> >> month, year etc and pie charts and some nice graps help convincing my
> >> management ;)
> >
> > Many OpenVAS users dump the results into a database and create their
> > own reporting mechanism based on this.
>
> Hmm would be nice if users share it with the community (so OpenVAS can
> grow bigger and have more potential).

usually, these are very specific solutions for the needs of the respective
companies.

> > Greenbone is currently working on the "Greenbone Security Assistant" (gsa)
> > which should support in this direction as a web front end.
> > However, the backend for this is openvas-manager.
>
> Greenbone is a paid solution right?

gsa is released under GNU GPLv2+. Not all in public SVN yet, but in progress.

But yes, Greenbone offers also a supported Feed (Greenbone Security Feed)  and a supported
platform (Greenbone Security Manager).

> If so I can also pay a Nessus
> professional feed license and use Nessus with Inprotect.

Thats up to you.
Apart from technical aspects, one difference is that Greenbone
is strictly oriented towards Free Software. Buying Greenbone
means to ensure support and have us produce more Free Software ;-)

> I am looking for a free as in free beer solution :)
> Sorry but my company is on a low budget that is why I am looking for
> free beer alternatives ;)

"Free beer" is relative. I hope you are paid for getting a scanner to work :-)