[Openvas-discuss] Some OpenVAS questions

Michiel van Es michiele at info.nl
Thu Oct 1 18:22:43 CEST 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Openvas-discuss] Some OpenVAS questions
From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net>
To: openvas-discuss at wald.intevation.org
<openvas-discuss at wald.intevation.org>
Date: 10/01/2009 06:15 PM

>>> Many OpenVAS users dump the results into a database and create their
>>> own reporting mechanism based on this.
>> Hmm would be nice if users share it with the community (so OpenVAS can
>> grow bigger and have more potential).
>
> usually, these are very specific solutions for the needs of the respective
> companies.

yes and no: a nice web interface for customers or users to scan their
hosts is a universal thing: look at Inprotect.

>>> Greenbone is currently working on the "Greenbone Security Assistant" (gsa)
>>> which should support in this direction as a web front end.
>>> However, the backend for this is openvas-manager.
>> Greenbone is a paid solution right?
>
> gsa is released under GNU GPLv2+. Not all in public SVN yet, but in progress.
>
> But yes, Greenbone offers also a supported Feed (Greenbone Security Feed)  and a supported
> platform (Greenbone Security Manager).

Ah that sounds nice :)
I wait for the svn version then :)

>> If so I can also pay a Nessus
>> professional feed license and use Nessus with Inprotect.
>
> Thats up to you.
> Apart from technical aspects, one difference is that Greenbone
> is strictly oriented towards Free Software. Buying Greenbone
> means to ensure support and have us produce more Free Software ;-)

Offcourse I understand that, same with Red Hat.
The problem is more the financial part that not every manager wants to
pay but still wants to have a nice clean interface where he can see the
scan results for free..

>> I am looking for a free as in free beer solution :)
>> Sorry but my company is on a low budget that is why I am looking for
>> free beer alternatives ;)
>
> "Free beer" is relative. I hope you are paid for getting a scanner to work :-)

I get paid yes ;) but my company decides to not invest in proferssional
feeds and support and want a cheap solution.
I can understand people saying: that is *bs* : want the best but don't
want to pay.
I am just saying that it would be nice to have an Inprotect alike
interface for OpenVAS for users to make some nice graphs.
If something goes wrong; they can pay for the support for example.

I keep you guys also updated about my Inprotect work (when I got some
spare time)

> Best
Regards,

Michiel