[Openvas-discuss] How to resolve dependencies for W32.Sasser.Worm.nasl?

Ian MacDonald imac at netstatz.com
Thu Oct 1 19:24:55 CEST 2009

Currently we are running OpenVAS on Debian Lenny; Worked great out of
the box; Plugins are up-to-date per the nvt update script. Output
showing versions and plugin state is at the end of this message.

Initially when starting the server we received some messages that
certain plugins would be ignored or invisible to the client.

Most of these messages were resolved by installing dependencies after
reviewing the .nasl files for "script_dependencies" and reviewing the
tools used
http://www.openvas.org/integrated-tools.html and installing some
additional packages we thought might satisfy these dependencies

#apt-get install nmap smbclient nikto snmp ovaldi pnscan
netdiag ldap-utils

Notably portbunny and amap are not packaged in .debs; However not even
all the packaged dependencies above are "suggested or recommended"
packages so perhaps a quick modification by the debian maintainers might
be considered.

After installing the related tools, we are now left with one message
when we start the OpenVAS server that we can not seem to resolve. Does
anyone know how we might get the W32.Sasser.Worm plugin to become
active? The output we have is immediately below,

senali:~# /etc/init.d/openvas-server start
W32.Sasser.Worm.nasl could not be added to the cache and is likely to
stay invisible to the client.
openvasd.
senali:~#

Any help appreciated,

cheers,
Ian

senali:~# dpkg -l | grep vas
ii  libopenvas2                             2.0.4-1~bpo50+1
remote network security auditor - shared lib
ii  libopenvas2-dev                         2.0.4-1~bpo50+1
remote network security auditor - static lib
ii  libopenvasnasl2                         2.0.2-1~bpo50+1
OpenVAS shared libraries
ii  libopenvasnasl2-dev                     2.0.2-1~bpo50+1
OpenVAS static libraries and headers
ii  openvas-server                          2.0.3-2~bpo50+1
remote network security auditor - server

senali:~# openvas-nvt-sync
OpenVAS NVT Sync $

Configured NVT Feed: rsync://rsync.openvas.org:/nvt-feed
Synchronized into: /var/openvas/plugins

Searching for required system tools ...
Synchonizing NVTs via RSYNC ...
rsync server - Intevation GmbH, Germany
All transactions are logged. Mail problems to admin at intevation.de.

Please look at /ftp/mirrors.txt for a list of download mirrors.

receiving file list ...
27120 files to consider

sent 72 bytes  received 432649 bytes  123634.57 bytes/sec
total size is 55634603  speedup is 128.57
Synchronization successful.
senali:~#