[Openvas-discuss] Some OpenVAS questions

Robert Rich rrich at gsti.net
Thu Oct 1 17:51:45 CEST 2009

I _think_ the reason for the dearth of options in this space is that as soon as someone comes up with something interesting, they turn it into a commercial service.  Consider that Nessus has been around for over 10 years and you still have very little to choose from.

My suggestion would be to try out Inprotect and/or Autonessus to run the scans, parse the results and store the data, and then use your own reporting tools on top of that to get the output format and content you are after.  There are some incredibly advanced open source reporting and business intelligence tools (Pentaho comes to mind), or you can use whatever may already be in place at your organization.  Regardless, there *is* going to be some work on your end, possibly a significant amount of it, but there are enough pieces and parts out there today that you don't have to do it from scratch.

Good luck!