[Openvas-discuss] How to resolve dependencies for W32.Sasser.Worm.nasl?

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Thu Oct 1 22:07:47 CEST 2009

On Thursday 01 October 2009 19:24:55 Ian MacDonald wrote:
> Notably portbunny and amap are not packaged in .debs; However not even
> all the packaged dependencies above are "suggested or recommended"
> packages so perhaps a quick modification by the debian maintainers might
> be considered.

this reminds me that we need to kick amap out as it is not real Free
Software. Thats essentially the reason why you won't find it in Debian.

> After installing the related tools, we are now left with one message
> when we start the OpenVAS server that we can not seem to resolve. Does
> anyone know how we might get the W32.Sasser.Worm plugin to become
> active? The output we have is immediately below,
>
> senali:~# /etc/init.d/openvas-server start
> W32.Sasser.Worm.nasl could not be added to the cache and is likely to
> stay invisible to the client.
> openvasd.
> senali:~#
>
> Any help appreciated,

we work on it :-)

Background: Initially, OpenVAS inherited the Nessus behaviour of silently
ignoring some Plugins if they think they can't run properly.
We added a test and error message for this situation and thats why you see
them now.

Greenbone Networks GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück
AG Osnabrück, HR B 202460 | Geschäftsführer: Lukas Grunwald, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner