[Openvas-discuss] How to resolve dependencies for W32.Sasser.Worm.nasl

Ian MacDonald imac at netstatz.com
Fri Oct 2 15:57:59 CEST 2009

Gents,

We successfully removed W32.Sasser.Worm.nasl and performed an nvt sync
and restart with no output related to non-functioning plugins.

I did however note that the restart I issued immediately following the
updates failed initially with an ERROR;  I went and immediately checked
the messages and dump files located in /var/log/openvas only to discover
that when I tried again a few minutes later, it started fine. (initial
output below)

We are assuming that the process had not actually stopped when the
initial 'stop' was executed.  There might be a little more that can be
done around ensuring that the processes have exited prior to stop.

cheers,
Ian

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 09:20 +0200,
openvas-discuss-request at wald.intevation.org wrote:
> "W32.Sasser.Worm.nasl" is superseded by "smb_virii.nasl" and was
> invalidated
> for that reason (there is no way anymore to execute it).
> You can savely remove it from your plugin directory and the message
> should be
> gone.
>
> I think it is not shipped with the NVT Feed anymore, but the script to
> sync
> with the feed can only update scripts (in contrast to deleting them).

senali:/var/openvas/plugins# rm W32.Sasser.Worm.nasl*
senali:/var/openvas/plugins# openvas-nvt-sync
OpenVAS NVT Sync $

Configured NVT Feed: rsync://rsync.openvas.org:/nvt-feed
Synchronized into: /var/openvas/plugins

Searching for required system tools ...
Synchonizing NVTs via RSYNC ...
rsync server - Intevation GmbH, Germany
All transactions are logged. Mail problems to admin at intevation.de.

Please look at /ftp/mirrors.txt for a list of download mirrors.

receiving file list ...
27120 files to consider
./

sent 72 bytes  received 432649 bytes  96160.22 bytes/sec
total size is 55634603  speedup is 128.57
Synchronization successful.
senali:/var/openvas/plugins# /etc/init.d/openvas-server restart
Restarting OpenVAS daemon: ERROR.
senali:/var/openvas/plugins# /etc/init.d/openvas-server stop
Stopping OpenVAS daemon: openvasd.
senali:/var/openvas/plugins# /etc/init.d/openvas-server start
Starting OpenVAS daemon: ERROR.