[Openvas-discuss] RSYNC Hanging Problem

Jason Steele mrpilot at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 21:02:02 CET 2009

Hello everyone,

I've been working on setting up OpenVAS 2.0.3 (I think that's the one
that version that comes as a Debian package) on a Debian 5.0 (Lenny)
server. Whenever I try to RSYNC with the NVT feed, it goes along fine
until it comes to:

  tomcat_server_default_files.nasl.asc
           197  100%  1.69kb/s  0:00:00  (xfer#29109, to-check=744/29854)

At that point, the RSYNC just hangs and does nothing further. If I do
a CTRL+C and kill it, then re-run the script, it just sits there with
no output. The only way I can get it to run again is to fully delete
the contents of the /var/lib/openvas/plugins directory. It will then
run again but die at the same point.

I did some googling and tried out the "--whole-file" switch for RSYNC
(by modifying the openvas-nvt-sync script), but to no avail. The same
problem exists.

I am synchronizing to the default feed at rsync.openvas.org.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,