[Openvas-discuss] OpenVAS Scanner 3.1.0

Felix Wolfsteller felix.wolfsteller at greenbone.net
Wed Aug 4 09:37:14 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 03 August 2010 19:33:46 Matthew Coene wrote:
> Ran into another little problem, even though I managed to sort of work
> around it...
>
> Seems there were two header files being called with the same
> declaration/definition.
> (Embedded image moved to file: pic19779.gif)
>
> If I tried to change the contents
> of /usr/local/include/openvas/base/pidfile.h
>
> I ended up with significantly more ongoing problems...  So I actually got
> it to work by commenting out the line with the same variable or whatever in
>
> /usr/include/libutil.h
>
> At this point, OpenVAS Scanner 3.1.0 actually compiled and installed fine..
> I have since returned the original /usr/include/libutil.h to its original
> form...
>
> The question now is... Despite the fact the scanner is compiled and
> installed, will it cause any issues going forward for the fact I took a
> dirty workaround ???

Not as far as I understand, because you linked against the "right" object.
However, I am not sure whether we need that include (not even on BSDs).

Attached a patch, that should remove the inclusion of libutil.h.
Please apply, regenerate configure (`autoconf`) and recompile to confirm that
openvas-scanner does not depend on libutil.h .

Sorry that the patch is not "clean" (there is some other whitespace diffs).

Thanks for catching,

-- felix

--
Felix Wolfsteller |  ++49-541-335084-0  |  http://www.greenbone.net/
Greenbone Networks GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück