[Openvas-discuss] Problem with Authentication of the OV Manager at the Scanner

birkel at fh-brandenburg.de birkel at fh-brandenburg.de
Wed Aug 11 13:35:05 CEST 2010

Quoting Michael Wiegand <michael.wiegand at greenbone.net>:

> Am Sonntag, 8. August 2010 17:50:56 schrieb birkel at fh-brandenburg.de:
>> the communication over omp with the manager works.
>> my problem still the communication between the manager and the scanner.
>> when i start the manager i get an error and the log shows a
>> authentification failure. i used the gsa to create a task, but i
>> couldn't start it.
>>
>> by the way - is it necessary to install the openvas administrator, if
>> i want to use the full greenbone security agent?
>
> At a glance, I think you have not yet created any users beside the
> internal "om" user. Is this correct?
>
> You do indeed need to create a "normal" user to use the manager;
> openvas-administrator is the recommended tool for this, especially if you
> want to have the full gsa setup.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Wiegand |  Greenbone Networks GmbH  |  http://www.greenbone.net/
> Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück, Germany | AG Osnabrück, HR B 202460
> Executive Directors: Lukas Grunwald, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

as it seems is there a little problem with the start/stop script in
/etc/init.d on a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS system. it display at every start of
the manager, administrator or gsad an ERROR even though it seems that
the daemons start without greater problems.

i found a thread about this issue here:
http://seclists.org/openvas/2010/q3/79

i couldn't check the functionality of the manager, because i had
problems running the test from the repository. the command make shows
me the error:
CMakeLists.txt:27: *** missing separator.  Stop.

given that i am not familar with make i have no idea what the problem
could be.

altogether, if i start all start/stop scripts, the gsad works fine.
just a little error in the performance tab, that a system reporting
program is missing.