[Openvas-discuss] Need help setting up / connecting to the manager - very highly confused...

Stefan Schwarz Stefan.Schwarz at unibw.de
Thu Aug 12 18:09:37 CEST 2010

Morgan Cox schrieb:
> Hi.
>
> I have read through various posts and am still not getting it...
>
> I have a fully working openvas3 (latest libs + server) server, I connect via
> openvas client on a linux desktop (also latest version)
>
> I have compiled the manager - compile seem ok.
>
> I basically have no clue how to connect to the manager...
>
> I tried to follow the README.
>
> I am running openvassd on the default port (9390)
>
> I tried using the command
>
> openvasmd --port 9391 --sport 9390
>
> - nothing happens at all.
>
> Using telnet / nmap I can see nothing is running on port 9391
>
> i have 2 main questions:-
>
> 1. what is meant to happen (any feedback) - Should I be able to telnet to
> the port (just to see something is running)
>
> 2. when working how do I connect? i.e - via  web browser/client, etc ?  The
> README is not clear.
>
> I have the latest (as of today) libraries/scanner/manager, etc.
>
> Cheers

Please have a look at the logs, for openvasmd it should be at
<installdir>/var/log/openvas/openvasmd.log (typically <installdir> is at
/usr/local).

BTW, I found it most convenient to start the daemons with:
sudo openvassd -p 9391
sudo openvasmd --otp
sudo openvasad
sudo gsad -p 8080 --http-only

Use "ps -efl | grep" openvas to see if the daemons are running.

After starting the daemons you can connect via browser to port 8080 or
OpenVAS-Client to port 9391 or by using one of the other tools like
gsa-desktop or omp.

	Stefan