[Openvas-discuss] More output with stdout (or another way to "track" progress")

Brandon Perry bperry.volatile at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 17:01:43 CEST 2010

Hi, I am looking for a way to use the zenity --progress bar (even
--pulsate is ok) with openvas-client. The problem is that it uses
output from stdout to "detect" the progress if that makes sense. It
essentially sees output and pulsates on it. However, openvas-client
sends NO OUTPUT to stdout (in batch mode at least). Is there a way to
get more output from openvas-client? Would a bug/enhancement report be
worthy?

I also had another idea, possibly using a program such as `time` that
will run openvas-client in thread while using another to print
something, say every second, so that zenity has some output to pulsate
on, but I am not aware of such a program. I have no qualms with
writing a small program for it, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't
missing something beforehand.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before, or know of a possible solution?

--
http://volatile-minds.blogspot.com -- blog
http://www.volatileminds.net -- website