[Openvas-discuss] Scanning a whole net?

Thomas Reinke lists at securityspace.com
Mon Aug 8 02:59:31 CEST 2011

As an FYI, you should be able to, without excessive extra load on the
server, up the number of max_checks run concurrently per IP without
significant increase in memory on the server running the check.

Increasing concurrent hosts, for each IP, adds a non-trivial overhead
in memory to the system - that's the big hit. If you want to increase
one of these on a memory constrained system, go for an increase in
max_checks before increase in max_hosts.

If you DO increase the max_checks, be careful, because at somepoint,
the scanner may start loading the scanned server to the point where
reliability may suffer.

Thomas