[Openvas-discuss] OpenVAS ScanProgress

Jo�o Daniel Neves joaodanielnevesss at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 11 13:51:00 CEST 2011

Hi Folks!

I'm learning a lot of OpenVas. But somethigs weird happen.
I have done a standard installation of openvas. Then I scan
of a WinXP SP2 machine...

Both (OpenVas and XP2) are virtualized by
Vmware. If the firewall is enabled, the scan progress does not go
far than 1%. I have waited about one hour... And progress still at 1%
But if firewall isn't enable everthings go fine.

---Why it happens? (I know that firewall is bloking the probes but isn't it weird?)

I have tested other scenaries. I scanned a Pf_sense machine.
At this scnario, OpenVas scanning progres reach 7%. If I reload the page scan magically reach 100%.
I have reloaded the page every 10 seconds.

---How
 could it be possible to go from 7% to 100% in minus than 10 seconds?
(My guess: OpenVas realized that pf_sense is blocking the probes then
quits)

But I'm just an student young struggling for knowledge. Sorry if I write some shit.