[Openvas-discuss] Openvas-Check-Setup

AL Rosser rossera at msn.com
Fri Aug 12 18:38:13 CEST 2011

 Hello,

I am running Fedora Core 14 on a workstation and when I run the
openvas-check-setup command I get the following results below. When I try to
start the openvas scanner service (service openvas-scanner) it fails.

./openvas-check-setup
openvas-check-setup 2.1.3
  Test completeness and readiness of OpenVAS-4
  Please report us any non-detected problems and
  help us to improve this check routine:
  Send us the log-file (/tmp/openvas-check-setup.log) to help analyze the
problem.
  Use the parameter --server to skip checks for client tools
  like GSD and OpenVAS-CLI.
Step 1: Checking OpenVAS Scanner ...
        OK: OpenVAS Scanner is present in version 3.2.3.
        OK: OpenVAS Scanner CA Certificate is present as
/var/lib/openvas/CA/cacert.pem.
        OK: NVT collection in /var/lib/openvas/plugins contains 20819 NVTs.
        WARNING: Signature checking of NVTs is not enabled in OpenVAS
Scanner.
        SUGGEST: Enable signature checking (see
http://www.openvas.org/trusted-nvts.html).
Step 2: Checking OpenVAS Manager ...
        OK: OpenVAS Manager is present in version 2.0.4.
        OK: OpenVAS Manager client certificate is present as
/var/lib/openvas/CA/clientcert.pem.
        OK: OpenVAS Manager database found in /var/lib/openvas/mgr/tasks.db.
        OK: Access rights for the OpenVAS Manager database are correct.
        OK: sqlite3 found, extended checks of the OpenVAS Manager
installation enabled.
        OK: OpenVAS Manager database is at revision 41.
        OK: OpenVAS Manager expects database at revision 41.
        OK: Database schema is up to date.
        OK: OpenVAS Manager database contains information about 20035 NVTs.
        OK: xsltproc found.
Step 3: Checking OpenVAS Administrator ...
        OK: OpenVAS Administrator is present in version 1.1.1.
        OK: At least one user exists.
        OK: At least one admin user exists.
Step 4: Checking Greenbone Security Assistant (GSA) ...
        OK: Greenbone Security Assistant is present in version 2.0.1.
Step 5: Checking OpenVAS CLI ...
        OK: OpenVAS CLI version 1.1.2.SVN.
Step 6: Checking Greenbone Security Desktop (GSD) ...
        OK: Greenbone Security Desktop is present in Version 1.2.0.
Step 7: Checking if OpenVAS services are up and running ...
        OK: netstat found, extended checks of the OpenVAS services enabled.
        ERROR: OpenVAS Scanner is NOT running!
        FIX: Start OpenVAS Scanner (openvassd).
        OK: OpenVAS Manager is running and listening on all interfaces.
        OK: OpenVAS Manager is listening on port 9390, which is the default
port.
        OK: OpenVAS Administrator is running and listening only on the local
interface.
        OK: OpenVAS Administrator is listening on port 9393, which is the
default port.
        OK: Greenbone Security Assistant is running and listening on all
interfaces.
        OK: Greenbone Security Assistant is listening on port 443, which is
the default port.
 ERROR: Your OpenVAS-4 installation is not yet complete!
Please follow the instructions marked with FIX above and run this
script again.

When I run the command openvassd I get the following error below.

# openvassd
** ERROR **: File is empty
aborting...
Aborted (core dumped)