[Openvas-discuss] Website relaunch

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Fri Aug 26 10:23:07 CEST 2011

Hello OpenVAS Community,

with quite a delay after we promised to do a relaunch of the website
finally the preview is here:

  http://www.openvas.org/newwebsite/index.html

Our considerations for the new design are based on lots of user feedback.
OpenVAS specific feedback but also lessons learned from other Free Software
websites.

Main aspects of the new design:

 * Fokus the download. Thats what people want always.
 * A bit more fun and less dry information on the main page (we have many
   first-time visitors and want to tell them that this website welcomes
   users, not just developers)
 * Make the left-hand navigation a drop-down-menu (no Javascript, just css!)
   This gains width and apparently will make it easier for users to find their
   way through the website.
 * Translation of all main content into german (we have many german users)

Let us know what you think!
Is it better than the current one (http://www.openvas.org/)?

From the user feedback summary we also learned that there are two other
main needs: A up-to-date Documentation and a better Virtual Appliance.

Once the new website is online, I would like to focus the Virtual Appliance
and build a 32bit one with working WMI and autocreate credentials.

At the same time Geoff and Zaki are working on a new documentation.

All the best