[Openvas-discuss] openvas and gsa taking a long time to complete a scan

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Sat Mar 5 01:07:17 CET 2011

On Friday 04 March 2011 17:37:35 Ocotillo Lechuga wrote:
> The problem is, when I run a "Full and fast" scan on the default ports on
> multiple targets (on five of them to be exact) it takes a very long time
> (seven hours) to finish the scan on only one of the computers.  The logs
> openvassd.messages, openvasad.log, openvasmd.log, and /var/log/syslog do not
> show any errors or related information to this problem.

this might not necessarily a bug. Have you checked your memory / CPU consumption
during scan? Maybe your scan box is too weak.

Well, 5 hosts is a very small number though! We do many thousand IPs per day
with a common hardware specification.

Timouts could be a problem also.
In your report, look at the results and timestamps there. Is perhaps a single
host taking far longer than the rest?