[Openvas-discuss] Installation Manual for OpenVAS!

Michael Wiegand michael.wiegand at greenbone.net
Thu Mar 24 10:24:29 CET 2011

* Jan Muhammad [23. Mar 2011]:
> Hi Group,
>
> Since am new to OpenVAS, and wondering where to start from; as of an earlier post I
> have downloaded all packages for my Fedora Core 13 system. Have unzipped/untarred the
> 7 packages (gsd, greenbone-security-assistant, openvas-administrator, openvas-cli,
> openvas-libraries, openvas-manager and openvas-scanner). I am aware that OpenVAS has
> 3 clients with server, manager, administrator and libraries modules.
> Google search for installation guide such as this:
>
> http://www.susegeek.com/security/openvas-opensource-vulnerability-assessment-scanner/
>
> Gives me some information;
>
> But wondering where can I get complete 'Installation Manual' or step-by-step guide'
> on how to configure and test my OpenVAS installation?

Take a look at http://www.openvas.org/setup-and-start.html. This --
together with the openvas-check-setup script -- should help you cover
the first steps.

> Is the "Openvas-compendium" on (http://www.openvas.org/about-software.html) is the
> EXACT manual am looking for?

The openvas-compendium was originally written for OpenVAS 2.0 and is
increasingly outdated.

> Am not sure either to follow this Compendium or the link such as the link on susegeek
> would be helpful?

The susegeek description is very old as well and probably only somewhat
helpful.

Every tarball contains an INSTALL and README file. Be sure to read these
files for up-to-date instructions.

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Wiegand | OpenPGP: D7D049EC | Intevation GmbH - www.intevation.de
Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück, Germany   |    AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998