[Openvas-discuss] Scanning from OpenVAS Client on OpenVAS 4

Zaki Akhmad za132 at students.itb.ac.id
Wed Mar 23 10:02:02 CET 2011

Hello all,

I've installed the OpenVAS4
- libraries
- scanner

I'd like to try scan with the OpenVAS Client. It is written on the INSTALL file on openvas-scanner directory:
<quote>
4) Once the scanner has started, openvas-manager can act as a client and control
   the scanner. The actual user interfaces (for example GSA, GSD or CLI-OMP)
   will only interact with the manager, not the scanner.

   It is still possible to use the latest version of the old OpenVAS-Client as
   direct client application for the scanner but this will circumvent the whole
   vulnerability management storage and processes.
</quote>

So, for the quick way I installed the openvas-client package
# apt-cache showpkg openvas-client
Package: openvas-client
Versions:
2.0.5-1 (/var/lib/apt/lists/kambing.ui.edu_ubuntu_dists_maverick_universe_binary-i386_Packages)
 Description Language:
                 File: /var/lib/apt/lists/kambing.ui.edu_ubuntu_dists_maverick_universe_binary-i386_Packages
                  MD5: 06a0c3f97507ea0913a2884121379ce2

Then I installed it
# apt-get install openvas-client

Start the openvas scanner daemon
# openvassd
All plugins loaded

Start the openvas-client
$ openvas-client

But when I tried to connect to the localhost server port 9390, the dialog box showed this:
Could not open a connection to localhost

Should I install the openvas-manager first to scan with latest version of OpenVAS-client?

-za,