[Openvas-discuss] How to Install OpenVAS Server, libraries and other components on Fedora Core 13?

Jan Muhammad janmuhd at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 21:38:36 CET 2011

Hi Group,

Sorry for bit lengthy email on this.

I have been trying to install & configure BUNCH of OpenVAS packages, without any success or clue on how to go with configuring them and in what sequence. Have downloaded and unzipped all the 7 component packages. The individual package directories don't have executable Install or Configure files (sorry for my ignorance!); although have been using the straight-forward installation/configuration of Nessus!
Have already posted a request for any Installation Manual for OpenVAS, but couldn't got any reply on that.

Anyone has any clue on how to solve my OpenVAS Server/Scanner or Other components?
Also can any one share the EXACT Steps on "How to install/configure the seven components (3 clients and other stuff) on Fedora core 13?"

Searching for several libraries and dependencies is really tricky; as have no idea what exact library would be required (using Yum for installation also doesn't help in this regard).

As there are no signs that OpenVAS server or any component have installed; the script gave me reasonable output of openvas installation issue:

First, have tried to run this script: "openvas-check-setup" , which says:

  Use the parameter --server to skip checks for client tools
  like GSD and OpenVAS-CLI.

Step 1: Checking OpenVAS Scanner ...
        ERROR: No OpenVAS Scanner (openvassd) found.
        FIX: Please install OpenVAS Scanner.

 ERROR: Your OpenVAS-4 installation is not yet complete!

Please follow the instructions marked with FIX above and run this
script again.

If you think this result is wrong, please report your observation
and help us to improve this check routine:
Please attach the log-file (/tmp/openvas-check-setup.log) to help us analyze the problem.
Second:  on OpenVAS-amin installation:

# cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/Openvas
-- Configuring the OpenVAS Administrator...
-- Install prefix: /opt/Openvas
-- checking for module 'libopenvas>=4.0.0'
--   package 'libopenvas>=4.0.0' not found
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:259 (message):
  A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:311 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
  CMakeLists.txt:169 (pkg_check_modules)

-- checking for module 'glib-2.0'
--   package 'glib-2.0' not found
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:259 (message):
  A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:311 (_pkg_che_modules_internal)
  CMakeLists.txt:171 (pkg_check_modules)

-- checking for module 'uuid'
--   package 'uuid' not found
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:259 (message):
  A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:311 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
  CMakeLists.txt:172 (pkg_check_modules)

-- Looking for pcap...
-- Looking for pcap... PCAP-NOTFOUND
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:178 (message):
  The pcap library is required.

Now wonder how to deal with:
package 'libopenvas>=4.0.0' not found
package 'uuid' not found
Looking for pcap... PCAP-NOTFOUN
Third:
And if I try to configure OpenVAS-libraries:

# Openvas/openvas-libraries-4.0.3

Can't find any Installation/configuration file to do anything.....

Best Regards

-Jan Muhammad