[Openvas-discuss] GSA (web gui) occasionally freezes at login - I have to reboot to fix it - please can you help diagnose the issue (can't see anything in logs)

Morgan Cox morgancoxuk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 12:35:21 CEST 2011

Hi.

I have openvas4 installed on a Debian 6 server, i'm using the OBS packages.

I have noticed recently that when I go to login to the GSA web gui (i.e
https://ip:9392) it completely freezes - i.e after putting the login it
*never* logs in (I have left it over 10 mins,,,)

I try to restart the server using:-

/etc/init.d/greenbone-security-assistant restart shows
ERROR.  (it normally does though)

I try to restart all the services

/etc/init.d/openvas-scanner restart
/etc/init.d/openvas-manager restart
/etc/init.d/openvas-administrator restart
/etc/init.d/greenbone-security-assistant restart

And still it doesn't work until I reboot - then I can login.

The only logs files in :-

ls  /var/log/openvas/

openvasad.log    openvasad.log.3.gz openvasad.log.6.gz
openvasmd.log.1.gz openvasmd.log.4.gz
 openvasmd.log.7.gz openvassd.messages.1.gz  openvassd.messages.4.gz
 openvassd.messages.7.gz
openvasad.log.1.gz  openvasad.log.4.gz openvasad.log.7.gz
 openvasmd.log.2.gz openvasmd.log.5.gz  openvassd.dump openvassd.messages.2.gz
 openvassd.messages.5.gz
openvasad.log.2.gz  openvasad.log.5.gz openvasmd.log
openvasmd.log.3.gz openvasmd.log.6.gz
 openvassd.messages openvassd.messages.3.gz  openvassd.messages.6.gz

Doesn't show anything (am I missing any logs)

This 'may' be connected with a cronjob I have - I have made a script to
update the  - openvas-nvt-sync

My script is

------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

/usr/sbin/openvas-nvt-sync
/etc/init.d/openvas-administrator stop
/etc/init.d/openvas-manager stop
/etc/init.d/openvas-scanner stop
/etc/init.d/greenbone-security-assistant stop
/bin/sleep 1
/usr/bin/killall -9 openvassd
/bin/sleep 15
/etc/init.d/openvas-scanner restart
/etc/init.d/openvas-manager restart
/etc/init.d/openvas-administrator restart
/etc/init.d/greenbone-security-assistant restart

and my cronjob

34 11 * * * /usr/local/bin/openvas-sync2.sh

- Is there a better way of automating the nvt sync ?

As mentioned as soon as I reboot it is fine.

Can anyone help diagnose this?

Regards