[Openvas-discuss] Why is OpenVAS is missing obvious open ports?

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Fri Aug 3 14:49:52 CEST 2012

Hi,

Ran a successful Atom install yesterday on a fresh CentOS 6.3 VM. Only
glitch was had to run openvas-setup twice, as the first time froze. At that
point everything looked good.

So I ran the default scan against a remote /27 I admin. Ran for about 3-1/2
hours, apparently successfully. But the report shows a failure to find
services that are open on that range. All it finds is an ntp server, where
there are web, ftp, dns and a few others to be found. And it mostly fails to
fingerprint OS's either - makes one guess that an IP is either an HP printer
or Linux (it's Linux), and that's it. For example the report shows, for an
IP with web service I can easily connect to from that same VM, "Open TCP
Ports: [none found]".

Maybe I was hoping for too much, that it would just work out of the box.
What should I look at to get real results?

Thanks,
Whit