[Openvas-discuss] Why is OpenVAS missing obvious open ports?

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Fri Aug 3 18:09:55 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 05:38:38PM +0200, Michael Meyer wrote:
> *** Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 04:06:44PM +0200, Michael Meyer wrote:
>
> > > there are two logfiles. openvassd.messages and openvassd.dump.
> > > Anything interesting in it?
> >
> > This is probably interesting. It occurs frequently in oopenvassd.dump:
> >
> > (openvassd:6738): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_remove_internal: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed
>
> That's caused by an NVT and is fixed in SVN.

Is it a cause for concern, or just noise in the log?

> > And openvassd.log reports trouble like this:
> >
> > [Fri Aug  3 01:44:36 2012][7448] SIGSEGV occured !
> > [Fri Aug  3 01:44:46 2012][1358] Process 7448 seems to have died too early
> > [Fri Aug  3 01:44:47 2012][1362] Process 7439 seems to have died too early
> > [Fri Aug  3 01:45:08 2012][1361] Process 7450 seems to have died too early
>
> That's your problem. There is something wrong with your installation.
>
> > Is the lesson that the Atom install on CentOS 6.3 is not compatible
> > with the system libraries?
>
> Maybe. Try to install from source/svn...

The Atom installation is awfully tempting. Can anyone recommend an Atom
installation to a specific distro revision that will "just work"?

Not that I have anything against building from source if someone would be so
kind as to point me towards a distro verion on which _that_ will "just
work". When last I tried that some weeks back I was trying on Ubuntu, and
for library-related reasons, it didn't.

This is a complex enough set of tools that it takes a while to assemble
them, if by hand. I'd rather take a known-good path here than run down more
dead ends. There are known-good paths, right? Some subset of what's listed
on the OpenVAS website as working really works?

Anything Red Hat or Debian flavored I'm fine with. Just would like to know
where the best odds are, so as to avoid unnecessary labor.

Thanks again,
Whit