[Openvas-discuss] Wanted: Reports of specific distro versions where OpenVAS installs easily ...

Alan Tu 8libra at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:34:54 CEST 2012

Whit, I am a little bit late to the thread. But I am new to OpenVAS
and recently had to wrestle with compiling it. With the libraries
5.0.2 and associated files just posted on August 2, I can report very
good results. No errors so far. Here is my build and startup recipe

Alan

#! /bin/sh
# install build dependencies
apt-get update
apt-get -y install cmake make pkg-config libglib2.0-dev libgnutls-dev
libssh-dev libpcap0.8-dev libgpgme11-dev libldap2-dev uuid-dev bison
sqlite3 libsqlite3-dev xsltproc libxslt1-dev alien nsis
mkdir oi # openvas installation directory
cd oi
wget --no-check-certificate
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libmicrohttpd/libmicrohttpd-0.9.21.tar.gz
http://wald.intevation.org/frs/download.php/1138/openvas-libraries-5.0.2.tar.gz
http://wald.intevation.org/frs/download.php/1092/openvas-scanner-3.3.1.tar.gz
http://wald.intevation.org/frs/download.php/1139/openvas-manager-3.0.2.tar.gz
http://wald.intevation.org/frs/download.php/1140/openvas-administrator-1.2.1.tar.gz
http://wald.intevation.org/frs/download.php/1141/greenbone-security-assistant-3.0.2.tar.gz
https://svn.wald.intevation.org/svn/openvas/trunk/tools/openvas-check-setup

# decompress everything
tar -xzf libmicrohttpd-0.9.21.tar.gz
tar -xzf openvas-libraries-5.0.2.tar.gz
tar -xzf openvas-scanner-3.3.1.tar.gz
tar -xzf openvas-manager-3.0.2.tar.gz
tar -xzf openvas-administrator-1.2.1.tar.gz
tar -xzf greenbone-security-assistant-3.0.2.tar.gz

cd libmicrohttpd-0.9.21
./configure
make
make install
cd ..

cd openvas-libraries-5.0.2
cmake CMakeLists.txt
make
make install
cd ..

cd openvas-scanner-3.3.1
cmake CMakeLists.txt
make
make install
cd ..

cd openvas-manager-3.0.2
cmake CMakeLists.txt
make
make install
cd ..

cd openvas-administrator-1.2.1
cmake CMakeLists.txt
make
make install
cd ..

cd greenbone-security-assistant-3.0.2
cmake CMakeLists.txt
make
make install
cd ..

chmod 744 openvas-check-setup
mv openvas-check-setup ..

cd ..
rm -rf oi

# post-install setup
#! /bin/sh
openvas-mkcert
openvas-mkcert-client -n om -i
openvasad -c "add_user" -n username -r Admin
openvas-nvt-sync > /dev/null
openvassd
openvasmd --rebuild

# start_openvas.sh
#! /bin/sh
# note this just starts Greenbone Security Assistant, the web UI
/usr/local/sbin/openvassd
/usr/local/sbin/openvasmd
/usr/local/sbin/openvasad
/usr/local/sbin/gsad --http-only --mlisten=127.0.0.1 -m 9390
--alisten=127.0.0.1 -a 9393