[Openvas-discuss] OpenVAS not invoking nmap - how to fix?

Mark LaCore nerdymark at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 05:08:50 CEST 2012

I like to use nmap SVN, but I found OpenVAS 5 likes nmap 5.50. Run
openvas-check-setup and it might tell you about that. You will probably
have to find the source tarball and compile it because your package manager
probably doesn't have it.

Another thing I found with nmap, is that the default scan timeout is too
short if you're scanning a full range of ports on a remote host. Make a new
scan policy and adjust the default timeout to something like 2 hours if
that makes sense. Also, make sure nmap is enabled as a Port Scanner in your
policy. It might not be on as default, I don't remember.

To troubleshoot further, open a couple terminal windows, and tail -f
/var/log/openvas/*.messages and /var/log/openvas/*.dump. Run a scan and
maybe something helpful will show up.

Mark