[Openvas-discuss] GSA broken when it comes to editing existing custom scan configs - even after all related tasks deleted

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Thu Aug 9 17:22:40 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 02:11:22PM -0400, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 07:37:34PM +0100, Matthew Mundell wrote:
> > > The GSA help section says to edit scan configs by choosing the wrench icon.
> > > Those are all greyed out. It says "A scan config can be edited if it's not
> > > currently used by a task." But only one has ever been on this system.
> > > They're all greyed out. Is this a bug, or the lack of a feature?
> >
> > It's a feature.  If the config is in use, then editing is prohibited.  This
> > keeps the reports comparable.  You have to make a new config if you want to
> > edit it.
>
> So all the 4 configs that come with GSA are "in use," even if a person has
> never assigned them to tasks? That's an unusual meaning for "in use." No
> matter. From what you say below nmap should run on the default config, so
> that's not what needs fixing at present. Or do I misinterpret you?

Bug alert! I created a new scan, ran a task using it, wanted to edit that
scan to make another pass since I still don't have an effective config, so I
deleted the old task. Can't edit the scan though. The wrench is still greyed
out.

It's far better to give the user absolute control than to take it away from
them, because when you take it away, it's too easy to take away more than
you meant to. Case in point.

So if I want to tweak an existing custom scan there's no way to go directly
there and do it, not even after deleting all tasks based on it.

Whit